Welcome back. Firstly thanks for all the support lately. Its been great. Here’s something different and something I really enjoyed making, tofu Scotch egg and piccalilli…
when you hear tofu you don’t expect an egg to go with, or piccalilli for that matter.
So for this recipe you’ll need. this recipes is for 6 portions
for the scotch eggs
- • 6 Eggs
• Salt and pepper
• 75g Panko breadcrumb
• 1½ tbsp. Chopped sage
• 2 tbsp. Chopped parsley
• 1½ tbsp Chopped chives
• 50g Grated parmesan
• Grated zest of 1 lemon
• 1 tbsp. Mustard powder
• 50g Rice flour
• 150g Silken tofu
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs with the herbs, parmesan, lemon zest, half the mustard powder and some seasoning.
- Mix the rice flour with the remaining mustard powder and season with salt and pepper.
• Blend the tofu until smooth, pour into a bowl and season well.
• Cook the eggs for 6 minutes in boiling water, refresh and peel
• Roll the eggs one at a time in the seasoned rice flour, then the tofu and finally the panko mix. Chill until ready to use. Fry in the fryer set at 180°C for 2 minutes until golden brown then drain on paper towel.
for the piccalilli
- • 600g White wine vinegar
• 250g Malt vinegar
• 100g Water
• Small pinch of dried chilli flakes
• 40g Turmeric
• 75g English mustard powder
• 525g Sugar
• 3 tbsp. Corn flour
• 2 Butternut squash – thick neck only – 1cm dice and blanch
• 5 Carrots – thick neck only – 1cm dice and blanch
• 500g Baby onions – blanch, peel and cut in half
• 1 Bunch breakfast radishes – washed and cut in half, leave small amount of green on
• 4 Turnips – peeled and cut at angle same size as butternut
• 300g Green beans – top and tail, cut in half and split
- • Whisk all the liquid piccalilli ingredients and spices together, and then place on the stove to boil and cook out the cornflour. When cooled, toss through the veg, and let pickle overnight
when it comes to plating I would recommend using a bowl you really capture the beauty of the dish and the colours. what are your thoughts on this dish?
The hungry chef