Something for the family.. this sweet BBQ pork rib and Mackerel combo gives you a protein packed meal that’s beneficial and economical.. the mackerel we are working with today coat only 50p from our local supermarket, £1.50 for 6 fillets ( once filleted .. )
I’ve talked about the benefits of mackerel before ( see blog post ) but oily fish like mackerel are cheap around 50 – 80p a whole fish & sustainable as they are caught and farmed all year round. They are full of omega 3 and vital vitamins & minerals that are essential for our bodies
Along side these delicious sweet pork ribs glazed in BBQ Sauce and a fantastic vibrant sweetcorn pasta salad has all the flavours you need to enjoy every bite.
the dish comes with a tasty tuna sweetcorn salad ..which has loads of vitamins & important nutrition crammed in..
The benefits of sweetcorn –
- 100g of sweetcorn contains 3,4g of protein.
- Its 73% water meaning it keeps our bodies hydrated.
- Good source of fiber
- High in omega 3 & omega 6
- Rice source of calcium
- Antioxidants vitamin c
For this yummy protein packed meal you’ll need ..🐟
For mackerel –
- 2 whole mackerel filleted and V cut – washed & trimmed
- Piri piri rub
- Salt and pepper
For the pork ribs –
- 1 pork short rib side – trimmer & marinated
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- BBQ glaze ( jack daniel works well )
For the tuna sweetcorn salad –
- 1 pack baby sweetcorn – washed
- 200g penna pasta
- 30g mayonnaise
- 3 carrots – grated
- 60g tuna – drained and seasoned
- Start with the mackerel, remove the head and guts ( see Scott Rea on YouTube for help )
- Cut both sides to release the filets
- Score each filet so this allows for an even cook, season with salt and pepper and rub in the piri piri rub and marinate 40 minutes
- While the mackerel is marinating prepare the meat, place into a roasting tray and pour over the bbq sauce, place on a high heat around 220c for 40 minutes
- Have a pre heated frying pan ready and melt the butter, once the butter has melted place the fish in the pan skin side down for 3 minutes
- Turn over and baste for 6 minutes until cooked through
- Place onto baking parchment to dry over and rest
- The ribs should be ready by now, if not place on a higher heat for 10 more minutes until crisp, take out of oven and let rest for 10 minutes
- Place the pasta in boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes until soft, season the pasta.
- For the salad – have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go, when ready toss together in a bowl and season to taste
- Crave into portions
- Serve with the all together or have the salad as a side.
This a fabulous friday treat that the whole family can eat, plenty of protein, vitamins & minerals.. everything the body needs to grow and be healthier.. also if you use low-fat mayo it will also make this meal more healthier for the salad ..
We hope you’ve enjoyed this tasty treat, let us know your comments & thoughts ..
Thanks for reading & supporting ..we are on route to hit 5000 hits on the site .. can you help and support to push us further..
The hungry chef ..