A little taste of Morocco for the summer months..
I’ve made this salad a fair few times now, its fresh, vibrant & a great source of nutrients .. this salad is packed full of goodness. And the spice is just to add some heat.. it’s also commonly used in Moroccan cuisine..
Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans are becoming increasing popular although they have been grown in middle eastern countries for hundreds of years ..
The benefits of chick peas –
- Chickpeas are high in protein making them a good meat substitute in vegan cuisine
- A 1 ounce ( 28g ) serving contains 3g of protein
- Good source of Fiber
- Helps with digestion
- Rich in plant based protein
- Inexpensive and easy to add to your diet
- Helps promote better sleep
A can of chick peas at tesco cost just £0.55 a pack of dried chick peas cost £1.15 .. bargain
I’ve talked about almonds before in my acai berry & superfood salad ( see blog post ) but lets just remind you on the awesome benefits of almonds
The benefits of almonds –
- 6g of protein per serving
- Good source of fiber
- Good source of vitamin E ( 20% of our RDI )
- Manganese ( 32% of our RDI )
- Boost brain power
- Helps in production of white blood cells
- Loaded with Antioxidants
- Very effective in weight lose
A 100g bag of almonds costs £3.75 at tesco. Nuts are expensive in this day and age .. i was shocked to see the price of pistachio recently..
And finally Carrot ..
Carrots are great, i seem to love food with colour, if its plain and boring i won’t eat it.. lets talk about carrots and how they could be your new best friend ..
The benefits of carrots –
- Good source of Antioxidant vitamin A
- Although carrots have no protein factory they are made up of 95% water meaning they keep our bodies hydrated
- Good source of fibre
- Help in maintaining weight lose
- Helps you see better in the dark …apparently
- So for this salad you’ll need
1kg chick pea – washed and drained. Pat dry
- 6 Carrots grated
- 1kg almonds roasted
- 30g Harissa spice
- 100g apricots – optional
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Tbsp pomace oil
- Once you’ve gated and washed the chick peas, the almonds have cooled, then toss all the ingredients together and season to taste.
- You can serve garnished with some watercress or chopped coriander
- Even some toasted peanuts to add a bit more crunch
This salad is perfect for a picnic or a family BBQ. It spices up an occasion, so why not try this simple nutritious salad. We have more great salads coming soon with a great range of vegetables we can’t wait to show you.
It’s great for vegans & everyone one really ..
As always thanks for reading
The Hungry Chef