I Recently thought to myself what fish havent i tried here in the U.K. something different & something meaty. After a recent tour of Billingsgate fish market ( see blog post ) im hooked on fish, i love it. The smell, the texture, the salty taste of perfectly seasoned fish is a simple pleasure in life. I have always eaten fish but i couldnt say if i loved it. Now i can.
The reason being, you can make some amazingly simple dishes with tons of variety of flavours.
Red snapper or northern red snapper is a spices of snapper.. obviously it is found in the northern Atlantic ocean & the gulf of Mexico where is inhabits reef mostly, it is also a sought after game fish fished by commercial & recreational fisherman. Although a recent study has found the red snapper isn’t actually a snapper its a tilapia… ( apparently )
red snapper grow rather large to about 60 cm & weight as much as 38kb ( 84lb for anyone wanting to know .. )
Some lovely looking red snapper fillets i did recently. Very tasty. Red snapper has plenty of reasons for you to try it.
- Selenium which is important to support our white blood cell functions
2. potassium which is a mineral & also a electrolyte. its required by the body to trigger enzymes needed in energy & metabolism
3. Omega 3 fatty acids, scientist has said that eating fish rich in omega 3 will improve our risk of heart disease.
Although its said pregnant women & children should avoid eating too much red snapper more than a few times a month to aviod mercury contamination. ( just a warning )
Red snapper is great baked, pan-fried, grilled & poached, you eat throw some marinade on it & even slap it on the BBQ.
What ever tickles your fancy…
The rich red / pink skin really stands out.
It’s also great served with homemade Tarragon mayonnaise. Delicious. So if you fancy a taste of this awesome meaty fish then you will need ..
1 large red snapper filet
3 pasteurized egg Yolks ( for the mayo )
200 ml white wine vinegar
Handful of tarragon leaves
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Season the snapper both sides very well. ( you’ll lose half of the seasoning when you start frying ) Heat oil in a frying pan until the pan is smoking, and seal the fish skin side down for 2 minutes
- Dont touch the fish in this time, just leave it, don’t worry..
- After 2 minutes turn over and quickly sear the bottom, then place om kitchen towel to rest.
The fish will slightly curl up during this process, but nothing to worry about.
- For the mayonnaise you’ll blend the Pasteurized Egg Yolks and white wine vinegar in a food blender or a food processor, and slowly add both oils at the same time until the yolks start to thicken up. The more oil you add the whiter the mayonnaise will be.
- Add the mustard, and the chopped tarragon and blend again.
- Taste and correct the seasoning.
- Should have a very thick consistency, if it’s too thick for your liking add some hot water and blend again.
- Finally bake the snapper filet 260c for 8 minutes until cooked through. Times vary as these fish come all shapes and sizes.
- Serve with some mayonnaise and some bar grilled vegetables. With the fish on top. Add a lemon wedge or two
perfect on a hot summers days..
Pan roasted red snapper with homemade Tarragon mayonnaise
We hope you’ve enjoyed reading. As always thank you, like and share.
Thanks for all the support over the last few days. Been unreal.
The hungry chef